Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Carmen Castillo, 2

"Besame mucho" and "Je ne compre pas" 

My grandmother says that when she returned with her mother from Nicaragua, she could no longer speak English.  Years later she would say that these two phrases comprised her only Spanish. You'd have to really know Carmen to understand that there was never any point in explaining that the second phrase is French. That it means "I don't understand" has always made me giggle...and since she was forever leaving her bright lipstick all over our faces as kids, I am pretty sure she understood the meaning of the first.

These are some of Gramma's pictures. I have guessed that they come from her time in Bluefields, Nicaragua, but I am far from certain. Once upon a time they were packaged with a photo of my great grandfather, Domingo Castillo. He was teaching Spanish in Washington, D.C. when he met my great grandmother, Valberg Erikksen, a Swede. At some point in my grandmother's toddler years, Domingo returned permanently to Nicaragua. He took Carmen with him. In Bluefields, Domingo became a judge, and his friend, one of the seven men who served as President of Nicaragua from 1921 to 1925, became my grandmother's godfather.

My grandmother has said that these were happy times.  Eventually her mother would arrive to take her back to the states, but that is a story for another night.

I just got off the phone with Gramma. She lives in Nebraska. It was a 15 second conversation. She asked when I could come to get her. I'm planning on visiting at Thanksgiving. Oh, good. She told me life at the lake was okay. She asked when I could come get her. I'm coming at Thanksgiving. Oh that will be nice. I love...she passed the phone back to her caregiver. Would you please tell Gramma that I love her. I'll try to remember to say that first next time. Besame mucho, Gramma.



Carmen Castillo

No comments:

Post a Comment