Wednesday, December 5, 2012

On trampolines and ladders and aha, hmmmm...

I had an "aha" moment today on my may to work (which was longer than usual as I had a meeting to attend in Jamestown). As a rule, I'm not too fond of those kind of moments. Fortunately, they usually don't arrive during the commute...which is just barely long enough for me to remember to turn on NPR or blast whatever cd comes pre-loaded by my 12 year old aspiring rock-star. But it came nonetheless, unheralded by morning chaos or personal drama. It was an "aha" moment: I am the trampoline.

Not just any run-of-the-mill trampoline... I am the world's largest invisible trampoline--the trampoline--The very same one I've been struggling to build for Noah while I juggle the simultaneous construction of the ladder to the stars (and I'll deal with that another day, maybe). The trampoline--you know his "back bounce from", his "not get hurt from"... Aha, hmmmm.......

Aha, hmmmm = I've been giving too much attention to constructing the world's largest invisible trampoline!
Aha, hmmmm = The trampoline has more to do with me, than it ever did the boy (who really only needs the regular-old-me trampoline and not something extra-bouncy and invisible).
Aha, hmmmm = That big, extra fancy, invisible trampoline might actually discourage the climb up the ladder. It grounds him, rather than letting him soar...and it does this with an admission price of  $ome mental anguish on both our parts.

Well, blow me away and bounce me up to the stars! What a bunch of foolishness even a fairly sane parent can be.

One of the things that I love most about by own parents is that they instilled a sense of fearlessness in me. I'm not afraid to take risks. I always assume that I will survive. I pretty much think I can do just about anything once I figure out what that anything requires. It's a good trait, and one I hope to pass along.

I love that kid of mine. Jesses off, baby. Fly.









1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. By-Trampolines

    ReplyDelete