Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Guacamole makes me smile.

Guacamole just makes me happy. It makes the sun shine brighter and the stars just dance. Today at work I spent hours a few moments just marvelling at how that bright green bowl of sunshine works its magic. My wonderment was interupted by my friend Liz who hollered back at me while I ate chips and guacomole as a late breakfast, "hey Krista, doesn't that have a lot of fat in it?" Only good fat. I found myself defending the guacomole. I can't help it. It makes me smile.

I fully intended to get online to find scientific evidence that guacamole could wipe out depression, cure seasonal affective disorder and maybe even eliminate my need for insulin... but I really don't have time for avocado research. And I really don't want to know that it might be too high in fat or that there could be a limit to how much one person should consume--a recommended daily allowance that I'm sure I far exceed...so I'll just end with my ideal guacamole recipe, keeping in mind that I don't measure anything and would make it even if missing most of the ingredients. Don't try it if you don't have an avocado!

4 perfectly ripe avocados. If you buy them hard, put them in a paper bag for a day or two.
2 cloves of garlic (or more...if you're home alone with a good book like Julia Alvarez's In the time of  the Butterflies)
2 limes squeezed and one meyers lemon (a regular lemon will work here too, and in a pinch I've just stirred in some frozen limeade or margarita mix)
hot sauce (as you like it-I like it HOT)
1 or 2 chopped tomatoes (my favorite is called granadero, but at this time of year I just use the grape tomatoes)
1/2 a large diced onion (most recipes call for red onion, but I like mayan onions so I use those... and if I have none-- and its summertime-- I go outside and pick a bunch of wild ones)
Cilantro (I like it, some people don't. It's optional as are all the ingredients except the first).
Mix it all up. Serve on warm corn tortillas...yum and smile.

So there you go. Instant sunshine and happy days.

Peace and love, Krista

ps. I am struggling with my disappointment in the Susan G Komen Foundation's decision to pull funding from Planned Parenthood. I've always been a huge fan of both organizations for what they do for women's health...especially for the less affluent.  It is time for more guacamole!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love guacamole too, and my husband just won't eat it "because of the fat." The "it's good fat!" argument doesn't resonate with him. He's too busy eating potato chips. Talk about fat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny...and I've also heard "let's have seven layer mexican dip instead...you know, because guacamole is so fatty." I'll stand by the good fat...and I'm not going to verify that I'm accurate--It makes me happy.

      Delete
  2. It is definitely the *good* fat,and if there is a recommended daily allowance, I don't want to know. To me it is heavenly. Salsa is too, but only the homemade kind or doctored up store bought. How do you doctor it up? Toss a jar of store bought into the blender with TONS of cilantro, a tiny bit of onion, jalapeno (fresh only) to taste, and either fresh tomatoes or canned. Blend. Inhale. Heaven, I tell you.

    Thank you for reminding me about the incredible qualities of guacamole! Will definitely be trying out your recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In honor of this blog post, I not only made guacamole yesterday, but my mother brought over a batch (extremely delicious) AND.... bonus!-- Today at work a lady gave me some that she'd purchased from Plaza Azteca in W'burg. She said it was "too spicy" (a concept that doesn't register with me). I ate the WHOLE thing by myself on the car ride home. Without chips. Just the guacamole. Definitely made me smile.

    ReplyDelete