Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Could a greater miracle take place

I've been pondering this little gem all day:

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant? Henry David Thoreau, Walden

And so I wonder...

If you looked through my eyes...
    What would you see?
Would you understand the pilgrim soul in me?
Would you gaze on my son with loving eyes?
Would you see the laughter in his step?
     Joy as he whirls about?
            all tosseled brown hair and soulful eyes...
Would you see hope in the eyes of the young?
                    Dreams in undocumented youth?
And Love on the lips of the sari clad mom as she hustles her child through the thrift store?
Would you see dignity in the homeless?
         Promise in the impoverished?
Would looking through my eyes let you know my heart?
Would you see how it breaks and mends in an endless cycle of rebirth?
Would you know me?
   


No comments:

Post a Comment