Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lee-Jackson Day...give me a break.

Lee–Jackson Day is a holiday celebrated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the USA, for the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The original holiday, created in 1889, celebrated Lee's birthday. Jackson's name was added to the holiday in 1904. In 1983, the holiday was merged with the new federal holiday Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as Lee-Jackson-King Day in Virginia. This merge was reverted in 2000. Lee–Jackson Day is currently observed on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which is the third Monday in January. State offices are closed for both holidays. -On Wikipedia

So...I just don't get the Lee-Jackson Day. Everyone in my office has off tomorrow--except for me...Extension agents are considered faculty and miss out on a handful of state/federal holidays.

But really...Lee-Jackson Day??? Absurd. Or is it just the yank in me? I'm a come here.

Although I will be likely working on an up to the last minute Annual Report, aka eFARs on Monday, I technically have that day off...and so I will take the time to do something meaningful in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Last year Noah asked to watch the Dream speech on Youtube...and we did that again and again until I became worried about my data package. If we didn't share the same attention issues, my report would be done and we could visit the memorial in DC. I suppose an all-nighter or two could fix that...

Peace and Love (and enjoy the day off if you get it),
Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment