Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Bucket List

So I got another of those emails with the "bucket list" of things you are supposed to want to do in your lifetime...only I don't give a rat's ass about camping in an RV (oxymoron in my book) or jumping out of an airplane or visiting Niagra Falls (although I am sure it's nice there when it isn't cold). In fact, everytime I get one of those emails, I feel like a big dork (just like the dork that hopes a friend is okay when she posts S.H.I.T. on fb on a Thursday). My "bucket list" just doesn't seem to include things that can be completed all at once. I'm wondering if thats just another grand feature of my ADD, or if I really am a dork, or if it is just that I am still a "big picture" person, or whatever! So here are 3 things from my big picture bucket list. Please feel free to comment or share some of yours... I promise not to be offended if you call me a dork. :-)

1. To face a great fear on faith and live to tell the story. This will happen at some point in an ocean crossing with David on Nico. I love sailing, but have a profound fear of the Atlantic. Profound FEAR!!! I trust David, however...and when he says we are ready, I will gladly go...just hoping for the moment that there are more than a few years in waiting.

2. To make a life-long friendship with someone in a land far away who I will never meet, living a life quite different from my own and to have lasting impact on eachother's lives.

3. To help one child break the cycle of poverty. I believe this is within reach... and it's part of the reason I stick with the job I have.

Have a great weekend eveyone! It just became Friday. T.G.I.F. :-)

6 comments:

  1. K, I love your soul always have!!! since way back when we road in cars no boys tho no seats for them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no doubt in my mind you'll easily achieve all three of those things. That last one in particular.

    Not sure what all would be on my bucket list, although it's not really important because I'd either lose the list or forget what I'd written, thanks to our shared ailment.

    Big picture, I'd like to see my children through to successful adulthood (not talking about success in a job, success as a human being of this planet-caring about others, able to look past differences, trying to help others who need it, that sort of stuff) and there's a bit of traveling I'd like to do (first and foremost to take my kids to Grand Teton Nat'l Park and Grand Canyon). Beyond that, I"d like to one day reacquaint myself with my basement, which currently is chock full of S.H.I.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No honey you aren't a dork for the S.H.I.T. thing.. originally it was in a blond joke and stood for Sorry Hun its Thursday but So Happy fit so well. but I loved that your dorkiness made you ask if I was ok.. that was very nice.

    Let's see bucket list.. I am never very good at these either cause I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl.. (is it odd that the three blog girls from Mathews are all pretty much fly by the seat of our pantsers??)

    Ok.. I would have to say...

    1. i don't want to face my fear it is fire, fire is my only fear left. I used to have other fears, loss of boyfriends, did it.. husbands, did it, grandparents, did it... parent, did it.. child.. did it. only thing left fire... I hope I don't have to face fire.

    2. Camping in an RV agreed.. not camping yet still fun waking up beside the Bay or Ocean or even an amusement park and going out and sitting by campfire and having coffee. So I pretty much did that too.

    Ok... this list isn't working out the way it should be. lets focus here things I want to do before I kick the bucket.

    3. I want all my friends and family to know I love them and care about them with my whole heart... oh wait.. I do that every day in any way I can.

    dang it I am not good at this.

    4. fine I give up.. there is no four and I will tell you why there is no four. There is no such thing as a bucket list for me, for me you don't know how many days hours or minutes that are left. We all need to live our life to the fullest and let each other know we care and we love each other. I would love to say that I want to see my children graduate from school, college, or get married but I am not promised that and neither are they and quite honestly putting it on a list scares the crap out of me.

    (gasp!!!) blog hijack.. leaving now..
    Love Re

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right on fellow bloggers! I am soooo seat of the pants...just ask my co-workers :-) Lists I only keep in my head...if that because I lose things (understatement), but this list is the only way I can respond to the traditional bucket list...do you think anyone really has a list even and lives life to mark off the events???; time is something for which there is no guarantee. Living life to the fullest, loving with all your heart; and giving thanks for the many blessings along the way... XO, K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over from CBW's to say hi .. love your header photo and I love the food experiments .. tho I am happy they arent in my kitchen ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since my illness last year, my wife and I have talked about what my "bucket list" would be. To tell the truth, I've done most things and gone most places that I want to go.
    I would like to go to Normandy to see the graves of the soldiers from D-Day. Sad and beautiful at the same time. I have always hoped to have an impact on other people's lives. Nearly dying last year, and the way people responded to me, showed me that I have. That was a great blessing.

    ReplyDelete