Monday, March 15, 2010

Our Crazy Kitchen

I said it in my last post...I love crazy. Noah and I both have ADD, vivid imaginations, and incurable curiosity...See...I can feel my friends smiling already. It makes life interesting. It transforms my living space. It propels us into sometimes loony adventures, and makes possible new discoveries. But, sometimes it is just plain frustrating.

Tonight Noah's kitchen experiment went awry. Who knew you can't cook spaghetti in a ziplock bag in the microwave? I guess at 5 minutes the pasta wasn't done, and at 8 minutes it became a brown brick. And when I went to clean up the mess...yes, a big mess...I discovered that he had been too impatient to see if the box of noodles had been opened...so he opened the other end...which, of course, led to almost two pounds of noodles on the floor...stray ones are still crunching beneath my feet.

So I asked, "Why didn't you look to see if it was already open before opening the other end?"

And he smiled back at me "Why didn't you look to see that both ends were open before you picked it up?" and then a slightly more humble, "my food experiment didn't work out so well."

I try to be patient, but the kitchen is a wreck. His second food experiment was microwaved pineapple. It was tasty, and also messy, and we may get food poisoning because he cut it with the same knife I used to cut raw chicken earlier. But I can't complain...I still remember making peanut butter and jelly casserole when I was a little older than Noah, and I am pretty sure I tried to serve it for dinner when it was my night to cook.

David, get ready for the kitchen experiments. There is one coming to a boat near you. He says he has an appetizer experiment. I will make sure he leaves the soda and mentos behind!

5 comments:

  1. can't wait for the app experiment!! I'm off to the boatyard for a shower...talk to you soon love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a chuckle I had over the raw chicken cutting knife. It's wonderful that he has the curiosity, the desire and the freedom to experiment. It's so much better than being afraid to.

    That's a gorgeous photo.

    p.s. Crazy is the new normal. Anything else is boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Thankfully for my kitchen Drake has yet to head in that direction other than to fix Ravioli if he is starving, other than that he steers clear of the kitchen.. too much like work for him I think. On the other hand the waterman and watergirl are both apt to find theirselves experimenting with things.. out come a hot dog casserole I won't let the dog eat but they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot dog casserole must be an idea that just hasn't come to my guy yet...and if it ever does, he will want that nightly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One night we had a meeting at my house, and we all sat on the front porch. Jacqueline was playing with her toys, and every now and then, she walked by the door so I could see she was ok.
    After the meeting, I walked into the living room, which had JUST GOTTEN new carpet. jacqueline had made a "pie" in the middle of the floor. A whole 5 ib bag of flour; chilli powder, garlic powder, etc. I didn't scream; I just turned to her as calmly as I could and said "Go up to your room" I then got out our steam cleaner and worked for hours to get the stain, and the smell, out. The stain came up pretty well. A few years later, when we moved, I got down on the floor and sniffed. I could still smell chilli powder.Needless to say, the "pie story" has become a legend in our house.

    ReplyDelete