Saturday, March 20, 2010

The new old piano, boat people, and my beautiful boy

Noah has been taking piano lessons for the past two years from Diana Allison. I knew from the first lessons that she was a perfect fit for us. Apart from being a great teacher, her conversations with Noah on all matters from history to music did more to build his esteem than any conversation he'd had with the Talking Doctor. Miss Diana is also boat people...by which I mean she is a sailor and works also at one of the marinas in Deltaville...which means she is also good people. She'd been helping us look for a cheap upright for Noah to play at home (Noah has a Yamaha keyboard...his second, but that is another story). Well, she recently found one...her boss at the Marina has a sister...

Well last week, after weeks of losing phone numbers, and probably trying Miss Diana's patience in my repeated requests for the same, I found (for probably the fifth or sixth time) the number of the boss' sister I was to contact and I actually made the call. And, wow, what a call, and connection on so many levels. Connie couldn't have been more kind...and then there came the comment/ question that almost blew my mind... "so you have the boy with autism?" My brain went blank...After a few seconds, I stumbled back to thinking..."Noah may have Ausberger's syndrome," I heard myself saying, "but there has never been a diagnosis." Yes, my boy is a special boy. He walks to a different beat. I'd heard when he was in pre-school and again in kindergarten..."sometimes he dances and sings like he is in his own world"...school has been a struggle at times...he has had fantastic teachers who have been very understanding...We've been blessed. Noah went thru testing for the Special Education program...He has a high I.Q. He has ADD like me. Learning to read was a struggle at first; handwriting outrageous, math is a mystery.

But, Noah could teach a class in creating sculpture from found objects. He loves to build, invents great gadgets... could tell you anything you want to know about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or pirates or sea creatures...and can identify almost any song on the radio in the first three seconds of lead in. He brings joy to my life daily. His favorite line this week: "Hey, Mom, you know what you look like today?" Me: "A monkey?" Noah: "No...the best mom in the world."

That is my beautiful boy.

Well...I went to see the piano on Friday. It is a beautiful, old piano with a rich history in the family who owns it. Connie lives in a house like mine. It was built by her grandparents who once operated it as a general store in Gloucester. It is old and cluttered with life. We laughed about the obstacles we've both traversed in dealing with old houses (these will go unmentioned to preserve our mutual peace of mind). She even gave me a tip on some heated mattress pads that might keep us from freezing next winter. I made a new friend.

So, we are getting a new old piano. It is beautiful, and perfect for Noah. I just need to sort out where it should go. Noah's Yamaha has its spot on the dining room table; his electric guitar is the instrument of choice in the living room along with Rockband... and he is saving space for drums (yeah right). I guess when it comes...wherever it goes, there it will be...and we will be blessed to have it as part of our lives.

6 comments:

  1. The diagnosis cycle is painless but takes a bit of time. Been down that road. but I LOVE my Ass Burger and he knows it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully touching post. And he's right - you probably do look like the best mom in the world this week - and probably next week as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that the perfect teacher sent you to the perfect piano.

    Perhaps the most perfect words I've read in some time are:

    "Hey, Mom, you know what you look like today?" Me: "A monkey?" Noah: "No...the best mom in the world."

    There's no sweeter music.

    p.s. Where is the old country store? My grandmother's old store is now Ware Academy, but down the road is another one that they converted to a house - my grandmother's sister lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done K.! I am looking very much frwd to meeting Noah...and that moment is less than a wk away!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is on the corner of Old Pinetta Rd. A great family lives there. : )

    AM...is there any benefit from getting the diagnosis...for school?

    Thanks ya'll. :-) I love my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy for you and Noah on many levels.

    ReplyDelete