Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lucky Jeans for Dinghy not Made in China

So you are wondering "What the cuss?"...Maybe you didn't see the Fantastic Mr. Fox...I've always been a huge Dahl fan...

Noah and I drove down to Savannah last Thursday to spend some time with David and do some glasswork on the dinghy we want to use on the big trip back North to North on Nico (the profile says I live in Mathews, VA...if you say that you live in North, Virginia people think you are an idiot...like my third grade teacher in Annapolis did when she asked me where I was moving).

We goofed off Friday. The weather was beautiful. We made banana pancakes, walked Spot and went to the beach at Tybee. Eventually we found ourselves at Fort Pulaski National Monument, a Civil War site. I am not what you would call a Civil War buff, but Noah has been studying it in school... so we went, and had a good walk and some fun finding the not so short cut out... Anyhoo, we didn't get around to lunch until about 3...so no work on the dink.

Saturday was cloudy and cool with a really big chance of gnats. It wasn't good glassing weather. We hung out, went for a few walks and wondered briefly if we should have laid glass the day before. But Friday had been so well spent...it had been a bonding day of other sorts...so the glass work would have to wait for another trip, or so we thought...

And then the clouds drifted away and the sun came out. It got warm, and we decided to get to work. For those of you who have not laid fiberglass with polyester resin, let me tell you it is messy...the kind of mess that just never cleans up. So I decided to change into my favorite ugly jeans...an old pair of torn Lucky Brand jeans I had picked up in some thrift store. I was about to put these on when I discovered...THEY HAD A TAG ON THEM THAT SAID MADE IN THE U.S.A. I almost couldn't believe it. My Levi's are made in Mexico. So I had to save those rags...and I wore David's old shorts instead... which was why Harley was able to praise my style on fb (I love you, Harley).

So the dinghy was glassed, and the American jeans saved. Krista never recovered her fashion sense...she wore her skirt inside out to church on Sunday. No kidding.

And here I am on Tuesday, still in awe of the American jeans and deciding to give myself a little challenge. I am tired of the "Made everywhere but Here". I am especially tired of the "Made in China"...so for the next month I am going to refrain from purchasing anything "Made in China." I am easing myself in to a full on "Buy American" that I hope will last a lifetime. This from the girl who drives a Japanese car made in Canada... Yeah, I am sick of it.

If you have a minute, you can check out http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/ for a list of products we still make at home. I've added to my favorites, become a fan on fb. I am going to use it as a resource. I will accumulate a lot less junk...it seems to all sport the "Made in China" tag.

3 comments:

  1. hhmmm.. that little challenge of yours very very interesting. Might just have to try that myself. I might save some cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. Keep us posted on how your month goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! I love supporting OUR local economy. Don't even get me started on Walmart. HATE that store. Next time you think you are saving a dime, take a moment to look at the ripple you caused and see where that dime actually came from.

    ReplyDelete