Saturday, April 17, 2010

A few ticks and a rash

It occurred to me that it has been two weeks since I have written. I've had some things on my mind that have kept the words inside, but it is time to dive back in...not because I have anything earth shattering to say, but because if I don't, I just may never.

So in case you don't already know, it is tick season again in our neck of the woods. Oh, I would love to blame it on someone else's woods, but unfortunately it is my own backyard...backyard, front yard...I wouldn't even really call it a yard. Landscaping was the first thing to go when I became a single mom. I know there are single parents out there who can do it all...work, kids, housekeeping, landscaping, and even manage going back to school at the same time...but that isn't me. So I got rid of the flowers (or rather they died, along with the rest of the shrubbery I'd planted years ago) and I decided to just deal with grass...only it isn't grass...it's weeds and poison ivy...and I don't deal with it...unless I am guilted into it.

Last week I bought some zinnia seeds, and sunflowers and moonflowers (my absolute favorite), and today I actually dug a raised bed in the spot I swore I would never dig again (it is much easier to push the lawn mower right up under the porch than it is to pull weeds in a flower bed). I had to haul in extra dirt which I dug from the ditch that invisibly separates the field from the yard. I apparently ventured into tick haven and through poison ivy wonderland on my way ferrying the dirt to what will eventually become the weedy flower bed. I am hoping that I have all the ticks off me, and that octagon soap really does remove the poison ivy oil...but something tells me I am going to be itching tomorrow. I don't like even thinking about that.

The good news is that I am even actually thinking about flowers again. I'm not even going to attempt getting inside my head to understand why. Maybe it's love :-). Bright, cheery flowers make me happy, and I will be glad to see them growing in front of the dilapidated porch...and I am hoping that the moonflower vines will grow all around it, and late on a summer evening I will sit out there and look at the stars with a glass of wine while the sweet scent of moonflowers wafts thru the air...it's worth a few ticks and a rash.

3 comments:

  1. Love the post! Can totally identify (somewhat) with overwhelmed + loving flowers/veggies growing + enjoying some wine on a porch! Love that you are "planting flowers" and happy! Congrats!
    Love & miss you!
    Still hoping you come to Ithaca / I visit you in VA someday soon!
    - Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. INdeed it is!

    I'm happy that you're digging back in the flower bed. What's a moon flower? Never heard of one. Will have to investigate.

    I completely understand about being a single mom. The list of things that need doing are so overwhelming it's easy to feel hopeless and helpless. So things do have to slide-it's a simple fact. As long as basic needs are met, I feel like I"m at least keeping our heads above water, however much things are pulling us down.

    The ticks are ferocious this year. Sorry to hear about the poison ivy - Dr. K. our local pediatrician can prescribe a steroid of some sort that helps it. My son gets p.i. by looking at it, and she cleared it right up with whatever the prescription was.

    Good luck with the flower bed, and good for you for getting back out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. I need this Octagon soap. Will be on the lookout for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete