Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's Cookin' Wednesday...Strawberry Girl Makes Freezer Jam


Yes...I need something to make me come back week in and week out...and I am hoping this helps. I thought maybe it would be fun to see what others are cooking...or not cooking...and either get a few ideas or share some kitchen pain. Noah and I eat far too much Chinese takeout. Oh, go ahead and laugh those of you that know about my China boycott.  I am laughing too!

So for my first What's Cookin blog, I decided to do something close to home, and something for which I am about 2 weeks early on in my neck of the woods...I've always been the impatient sort (this is not to be confused with getting things done in a timely fashion...I am also the queen of last minute, the ever procrastinator).

STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM
I grew up on a strawberry farm. The only lingering trauma for having done so is the name-calling. I still get called Strawberry Girl on occasion at the local store. For those out of town, your local store is the closest convenience store to your house. It is that place where everyone knows your dog's name and they have your cell number posted next to the cash register so they can call you when she makes the frequent odd visit. They have also seen you in pajamas when you come to pick up your dog.  In the old days these were general stores. Our store was S.G. Jones and Son. Ours sold everything from groceries to hip boots, knives, and as I remember socks. They also let you charge a handful of hot balls to your parents account when you walked there after getting off the bus instead of heading home as you were supposed to do.

So we don't grow pick your own strawberries anymore...only pumpkins.  We do have a smallish patch at the farm (50 X 50')...and I will probably be making the daily trip in a few days so that I don't miss out on the first ripe berry. I am impatient. I hated strawberries as a kid. I hate love irony. It was the one food I craved when I was pregnant with Noah. So for the past ten years I have been loving strawberries. The year I had Noah turned out to be the last year we operated the farm as a PYO berry farm.

STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM
Ingredients
2 cups crushed fresh strawberries
4 cups sugar
1 (1.75 ounce) package Sure-jell dry pectin
3/4 cup water

Directions
1. Pick a heap of fresh, ripe strawberries.  I don't know how much. I always pick loads and eat what I don't use.
2.Mix crushed strawberries with sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the pectin into the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 1 minute. Stir the boiling water into the strawberries. Allow to stand for 3 minutes before pouring into jars or other storage containers.
3.Place tops on the containers, and leave for 24 hours. Place into freezer, and store frozen until ready to use.
 
Lasts about a month once you've opened it and put it in the fridge.
 
If this recipe looks like the one that comes in the box of Sure-Jell, it is.  It is the best out there. I have tried all sorts of recipes, so if you thought you were getting a family secret, I hope you aren't too disappointed.  If there is a strawberry patch near you, go pick some and try it. The Strawberry Girl can't wait to have strawberry freezer jam on an english muffin.

The photo above is from my uncle's farm in Roca, Nebraska.  Strawberry growing was once contagious.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not much on recipes, and I don't remember anyone calling you "Strawberry Girl" but that's probably because I grew up in the other end of the county. I do LOVE strawberries, Maybe since I have lots of free time I will use your recipe this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea making jelly could be so easy.

    Love your new background/template/whatever it's called. Maybe in addition to What's Cookin' Wednesday you can have Technical Stuff Thursday. I've been blogging since Marhc of 2008 and am mortified to make any sort of changes to my blog.

    Oh, and I'm pretty sure pajamas are acceptable attire most anywhere in Mathews, up to and including the bus stop and the post office. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ND...The Strawberry Girl name is a Northism bestowed on me by a much older generation.
    CBW...I'm pretty sure that the fact that we would go anywhere in pajamas means we have matured. LOL. That recipe is quick and easy, and no waiting for berries to get to a rolling boil which means I don't get distracted in the middle and burn it! It also tastes great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this the recipe that makes the foamy yummy gummy goodness or is that the cooked recipe? That was always my FAVORITE part of the whole process!!! Do you know whatever happened to the HUGE (at least I remember it being huge, it could be 1X1) picture that was hanging up in your house of the people picking strawberries on the farm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to the big event tonight but the pageant tomorrow night and my son's lacrosse practice in Gloucester sealed my fate.

    You chose the best night thus far to get married, it was absolutely perfect weather-wise. CONGRATULATIONS and hope to see you both soon.

    ReplyDelete