Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Easter Bible

My China boycott has not been easy...it has been far easier to stay out of Wal Mart. I look at everything I put in my cart no matter where I go...even greeting cards get scrutinized as I discovered so many wear the "Made in China" tag...and toys...well, forget about it.

So Friday night I was waiting for Noah to come to the toy realization at Ollies where we had stopped to pick up something. I was perusing the Bible section as I had just bought Noah his first and I was curious about what Ollies had. Well, I happened to spot a big, black one called the Archaeological Study Bible, and coming from an archaeological academic background, I had to check it out...

By the time Noah had arrived at the conclusion that I wouldn't be buying any toys (I am sure he scrutinized every possible toy for 9 year old boys), I had fallen in love with the Archaeological Study Bible. It had beautiful illustrations and great articles related to biblical archaeology. It placed each Book in historical and cultural context with wonderful discussion about ancient peoples. It was a Bible for me. I am a context person. Context helps me hold onto new knowledge...otherwise that wisdom just wobbles around in my brain. Context gives it a place to take root and grow. I sooooo wanted that Bible.

And then came the kicker, a mean little sticker that read...yes, you know..."Made in China." Noah had seen me flipping the pages of the Bible...He can read my expressions well. "Is it too expensive?" he asked. "No, " I said, and I showed him the sticker.

"Oh, Mom. Give it up. Everything is made there. Buy the Bible, forget about the boycott."

So there I was...And it was tempting to forget about my boycott...but I try to raise Noah by example. My boycott was about taking a stand for something, an idea, I believe in. I couldn't show Noah that I throw in the towel because I want something...even if that something is the Great Book. I told Noah that I would return after the boycott and that if the Archaeological Study Bible was still on the shelf I'd buy it. We both left empty handed (and I still don't remember what we stopped to pick up in the first place).

On Saturday Noah asked me to take him to Ollies because he wanted to get me an "Easter gift". "I want to buy you the Archaeology Bible, Mom," he said. "Just because you are boycotting China...well, it doesn't mean I am going to do that too. I have my own money. I am going to buy it for you and me and David."

So... I drove him over there...and I didn't expect him to really do it...because he is pretty frugal about spending his own money. But, he found it, and whipped out 25 bucks from his wallet and asked if I would hold his place in line while he looked around. As I got to the cashier, Noah arrived with a small plastic toy and his wallet. "Almost everything is made in China, Mom," he said. "If you want to pay me back sometime, that will be okay." I just smiled...maybe next month...

Thank you, Noah. It has been a wonderful Easter. We spent time with family. We enjoyed Big Day at Living Waters Church, the church we call home...and my mom came with us! Noah says it has been the best Easter ever. I have to agree.

5 comments:

  1. that is just the sweetest thing EVER... and here I was going to google a Bible like that for you made in USA.. not there would have reallly been one but I was going to try.. he beat me by leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speechless, just speechless.(okay not really! hahahaha!) Noah is so incredible. What would have been a simple purchase last month turned into a gift for the family. Something that you will always look at in a different light. Your first family Bible, purchased by your son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's been quite a few lessons learned here...one of them is that I need to think before I speak/ look before I leap... another one is that a fourth grader is sometimes smarter than his mother...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this has been a wonderful story that you will always remember and treasure. BTW, I still buy local and American when I can, but as Noah pointed out, it has, unfortunately, become very hard to do in some areas.
    You two have a tremendous bond.What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful story, truly. You have a very thoughtful (and smart) son.

    ReplyDelete