Sunday, April 18, 2010

Poison Ivy and Ticks, Fresh and Raw

Following up on yesterday's post...
The Octagon soap apparently worked its magic...no rash...and I am extremely allergic to poison ivy...which means I am extremely allergic to my yard.
And I haven't found anymore ticks...so I either don't have anymore...or my eyesight is just plain bad.
But that has me wondering if Frontline or Advantix has ever been tested on humankind... And if it has, I want some...and if it hasn't, maybe I'd consider offering myself up as a test specimen.
And I am curious about the folk remedies for poison ivy and ticks. So if you have any, please share.
My sister has been getting poison oak like crazy on the job with the BLM in Oregon. She's been consuming Certo (that preservative you use making jams and jellies) because it is supposed to make the rash fade quicker. I did a little research and discovered the active ingredient, sodium benzoate, may combine with vitamin C to produce benzene...which according to the research is a carcinogen...so I am not so sure about that one. But wouldn't this mean that jams and jellies and any preserved foods for that matter might combine with C to do the same???? I would think this would mean we should be eating fresh, raw food?!?! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

12 comments:

  1. Fresh, raw food was the norm in our grandparents' time (parents too for that matter), but nowadays it's the exception.

    I make a point of telling my kids that we must eat one food that is alive or close to its original state each meal. Of course we do'nt always achieve that, but they make a point to say something when we don't. So, at least they're thinking about it.

    I never heard any of the folk remedies for poison ivy but if you learn of any I'll pass them on to my poor son.

    Need to investigate this Octagon soap...(not Octagon soup which I typed before realizing the error.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Valu used to be the only place around to get this soap. It is a bar soap. Mine is years old, but I do use it when I think I've been in poison ivy. The whole food thing is so disappointing for all us working parents who just don't have the time or money to feed our families the way our parents and grandparents did. Barbara Kingsolver wrote a great book on the topic of eating what could be grown/raised locally. I can't remember the title off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked as a chemist for many years, and used to make up a salve for one of my friends from a more potent form of the chemicals found in tea. So if I'm exposed to poison ivy, after I wash with cool water (to keep from breaking the little capsules of the poison ivy left on your skin), I soothe it with wet tea bags. If you've been exposed to a lot, its better to use something you know works though rather than take a chance:) Round-up spray kills poison ivy, we had to get rid of a bunch of it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benzene is an organic carcinogen, and it is one of the by-products of turning coal into coke. (That is what I did..) I'm not able to work today due to an overexposure to such chemicals..but I really don't think you could get it from eating jams and jellies made with Certo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know, Deborah! Thank you...on both the poison ivy and the benzene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since she is on the west coast they make a product called technu soap/lotion and wash it is great works wonderful best stuff ever.....you use it after exposure to poision oak/ivy it washes stuff right off and if for some reason you already have it you use the lotion it will dry it up in two days.... i have my uncle send it to me cause i cant find it here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. but its prob. made in china:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you!!!! And I am sure T will thank you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was covered head to toe in it last week.. not sure where I got into it at but boy did I.. it was not pretty.. I didn't do anything let it run its course and tried not to die from itching.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got it really bad about 10 years ago when I decided to put an old fallen birdhouse back into the pecan tree in my yard. I had climbed up really high and was pulling away vines that were in my way...never bothered to look at what they were. I had no insurance and no family doctor. I went to see Dr. Muffleman...as I walked into his office he took one look at me and said "Don't even bother to sit down, I can see it from here." He wrote the prescription for prednisone on the spot...and charged me far less than he deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. Saw you on CBW's site. We have poison ivy and ticks galore here in Maryland. I've had Lyme's twice within the past 5 years. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everytime my son gets a tick bite, his grandmother worries about Lyme disease... which means half the year I get told repeatedly to take him in to the pediatrician. I did read up on symptoms, and can't say for sure that I would spot it, but we are on the look out! I hope you recognized it quickly!

    ReplyDelete